Monday, August 11, 2014

Random Monday Thoughts after a long time not posting.

Sitting in church yesterday thinking (during sermon Part 2, the sequel) about the topic, "joy," when I tried to come up with a bumper-sticker-t-shirt-slogan line about the difference between Pleasure, Happiness, and Joy.

How about "Pleasure is eating a cookie, Happiness is sharing cookies with a friend, and Joy is teaching a loved one to bake cookies."
** 8/19 update, thought of a new spin today: "don't seek happiness in pleasure, find pleasure in your happiness."  oooooo, deeeeeep.
Meh.

I was thinking about a couple of things somewhat deeply as well, most of which is now lost in the recesses of my mind. Some continuations about the conflicts of being a human, which I have mentioned before: we want to be independent, strong, self-sufficient, yet at the same time we want to be taken care of. Makes our system here in America difficult to manage. I'm not the first to think that a truly benevolent dictatorship may be the best system, but that person would get killed anyway, and then it would just be a regular dictatorship. Alas.

Also, it came to me that we are simultaneously part a group (or groups) yet want to be regarded as an individual.

I was actually thinking specifically about the dilemma of inclusive language, and how we shouldn't take everything so stinking personally, but it's hard not to, right? It was pointed out to me long ago that all the God as Father references could be off putting to someone that had a crappy Dad (or Mom, there are those references as well), but if we could all just take a step away and see that it isn't always all about us maybe more would find comfort in the words? I dunno, just thinking out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment