Friday, September 9, 2011

Remembering 9-11

I was a teacher in 2001 and was monitoring study hall the morning of Sept 11th when someone came into the cafeteria and said, "Turn on the TVs, a World Trade Center's been hit by a plane."  We thought it was an accident until we saw the second plane hit tower 2.

I was so wrong about that, it looked like a small plane and I said so, I guess my brain couldn't compute the reality.

Many of the freshmen didn't get it, one guy in particular was all, "what's the big deal" and I, a little too vigorously, I'm sure, said something along the lines of "we are at war now! Look around you, these seniors, some of them may have to fight this war!"

Micah Maupin, who I later taught in my Stagecraft class, was in that room, with no intention yet of becoming the Marine he would become. I don't think his big brother Matt was there that day, although during he hung out there with a buddy, Eric, quite a bit, often at our teacher table. I wish I wasn't right and Matt hadn't been captured and then shot in the back of the head and left in the desert. I hope that freshman remembers this, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment