Thursday, September 14, 2017

Random Thought About World History

I happened upon a cool photo via Instagram today that got me thinking..

Does anyone remember the PBS-style (probably a BBC show) called Connections from back in the 80s (it actually was the 70s, as it turns out)?

It may have been the 2nd or 3rd iteration that caught my attention as the host was explaining some cool thing about Europe in the 300s AD and then, with a jump cut was in India or somewhere to explain what was happening there at the same time.

What a great concept!

This informs my ADD-ish brain often when I learn stuff. So, naturally, when I read the Wiki on step-wells and saw that the first rockwall step wells were built some time around the aforementioned 300AD (see what I did there?), I thought "what were Germans/Aboriginals/Native Americans/Irish building then?"
from http://www.mid-day.com/articles/mapping-indias-forgotten-stepwells/17185189

There's probably a cool book or website along these lines, so look for an edit of this post with some links, but for now, just sharing today's little thought process.

There is a website devoted to mapping and archiving stepwells mentioned in the article the above image came from, stepwells.org. There are a lot of them!

Here's a good article from another person trying to catalogue and save them. Lots of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment