Thursday, March 4, 2010

Health, mine, that is.

So, Barney, who works with me, has had Job-like stuff in his life lately (and although he's Jewish by heritage, he's atheist in practice, so the Job allusion would be mostly lost on him), but it's his life, so I'm not dumping it out here. Over the weekend, he gets news that in addition to everything else going wrong, he's got type-2 diabetes.

Barney is 50 and in better aerobic shape than most 30-somethings, he's a Zumba nut. I only see him eat yogurt, bagel-fuls, and mostly healthy portions, although he drinks way too much regular Coke. He's in better shape than me, for sure.

As I always do, I offered up two articles from Men's Health magazine about how diet is so important, and in one doctor's practice, can eliminate the symptoms completely, but in the process of explaining why I know this and why I think it's valid (my Dad had and my Sister has diabetes), I realized that I was the one that needed this advice. That was Tuesday morning, I haven't had but an accidental sip of sugar since, nor any bread or villainous carbs since. That's fantastic for me, folks, I have some chocolate of some kind like every day. Every day.

So, here's the upshot, I'm going public with this little nutritional epiphany of mine, (I know, I know, I'm the only one that reads this) and committing to change. For the record, it started Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 midmorning, as I had a brownie at home for breakfast.

Wish me luck!

Monday, March 8th update, lost 6 pounds, just by cutting out almost all the garbage in my diet, yet allowing myself some ice cream Saturday night and some chocolate Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment